By setting up a specific Magazine Pre-Flight I made sure several specific magazine settings were kept in check. No things went unnoticed, like image quality, missing links, missing fonts, missing text and color profiles
Every image has been edited and checked. Since this was a magazine, I made sure that not a single of the images used had a resolution below 300 ppi. Nothing but the best images for the magazine.
For this magazine, many choices regarding typography were chosen. From font(s), which font-family, to letter spacing, indents and paragraph header calculations. All to create the perfect magazine.
Many things were considered to get the perfect lay-out. From gutter size, to amount of columns, indents and spacing, hyphenation, and off course paragraph styles
Burning Man Workflow
Our very first magazine. We got to design it, make it, print it, cut it, and every process in between. And there is much more to it then you might realize. Several programs were used. Like for example InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, and Adobe Acrobat.
Format ; 210mm x 250mm
Bleed; 3 mm standard bleed
Amount of pages; min 12 max 16
Color profile; Coated FOGRA39
Image resolution; 300 ppi
I made a ´´magazine´´ pre-flight , which works as a final check on my document. I pre-define specific information which the system keeps an eye on for me. So for example I asked the system to do a check on my images. I want them to always be 300 ppi for my print. So if I forgot to edit an image, my preflight will tell me.
Other things I have marked in my preflight are; missing links, missing fonts or glyphs, missed text, and the use of RGB, spot or pantone colors.
After I made my entire magazine, and my pre-flight checked for any possible errors, it was time to package the document. The ability to make a package is going to come in handy when I want to send my document to for example a colleague who I work with.
All my images, fonts and any other links are gathered here. So the other person can open this package, and instantly work in the same document, without any missing links, fonts, or images.
If you thought that making a magazine was just about the technical part, you´re wrong. Not only do you have to decide upon many choices before you even make a document, but after you made a document, there are many choices regarding your lay-out.
Many things had to be considered for this magazine, and one of the most important ones had to be; what font to use. I went with the Isidora Sans font, as it´s a font with a large font family. Which means it gave me a lot of freedom to play around with in my paragraph styles. That in return creates diversity , and keeps it interesting to read.
Another important part is the use of margins and columns, I played around with a 2-column set up and a single one, mixed with images to give the reader some ´´breathing room´´
So except for fonts, columns, margins, and lay-out, do you think you need more to make a magazine? You would be correct! During this project we also learned about the technical terms of things that make a text look good.
Like spacing between paragraphs, how to calculate what spacing is enough. Spacing in between words, where words can brake. Indents and text-aligning.
Further more we learned about Display texts, optics and metrics and when to use them. Optics are used on display fonts, like the title, or the subtitle. But can also be used for paragraph titles. Metric you use on your general text.
And finally, there are some technical aspects to the images I used in InDesign. There are some general rules here to follow. Which has a lot to do with what you will use your images for. For example; If I were to use an image for web I could suffice with a 72ppi image. But when working with digital print I needed to make sure that my images were between 200 and 300ppi. If this was a real magazine, I would only use 300ppi, as this gives the clearest resolution to the images on paper.
That means every image that I used in this magazine, has been checked for image size and resolution. If the images were not good enough, I had to find a higher quality image. And adjust the size to my document.